Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Swan Valley Study #2 - NFS

"Swan Valley Study #2", 8" x 10", Oil on Panel
This is the second of a series of studies that I did at the workshop. I started out painting on bigger panels, but switched to the smaller ones after Ovanes told me to. This was actually a big relief. When you watch someone do a 40 x 60 inch painting in a couple of hours, you think maybe you should be working at least a little bigger, but for practice, it may be more practical to do many 8 x 10 inch paintings than struggle with one four times the size.

5 comments:

  1. I like the color in this painting and the brush strokes are full and descriptive. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really lovely, so simply elegant in appearance, but I'll bet it wasn't so easy. How do you get the colors to glow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE this painting Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color harmony and brushwork are so beautiful in this. Glad you got a chance to attend Ovanes workshop. Look forward to seeing his work.
    Just love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for your comments! I'm not sure the painting is quite as glowy as it looks in the photo, but I think the glowiness has to do with the variation of color. If you take a swatch of color, say of a tree, then vary with a slightly cooler color at the top and slightly warmer at the bottom and sort of blend these together you can achieve a glow of color. You can even blend into that a pure color. These are things I'm definitely experimenting with.

    ReplyDelete