Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Idaho Farmhouse - SOLD

"Idaho Farmhouse", 8" x 10", Oil on Panel
This is another little study in my effort to practice what I learned from the workshop in Idaho. Some have asked me more specifically what I learned, but it would be hard to describe.  Suffice it to say that Ovanes uses a really big palette and puts out piles of paint that are probably 10 times what most people put out.  I think that a 37 ml tube amount for one color would not be an exaggeration. That's why I started buying Classic Paints in 10 oz tubes after my first workshop with him. The only problem I've encountered with this brand, and it was a big one, was that they put out one batch of white that had an incorrect type of safflower oil in it--a type that maybe will never dry.  So all the paintings I did in the studio during the summer used this paint, though at the end I was putting an alkyd medium in it.  But this was before I really understood what the problem was and returned the paint. The company has been very straightforward in replacing the white and correcting the problem, but since I bought the paint through a third party, I was not notified of the problem.  For my outdoor paintings I use M. Graham paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment