Friday, January 14, 2011

Yuhu Village Dog - SOLD

"Yuhu Village Dog", 8 x 10, Oil on Museum Board
Carol suggested today that I paint a puppy. I was away most of the day and when I came back late in the afternoon I thought, what the heck! Why not? So I dug out my photos of the two dogs owned by the proprietors of the Yuhu Guest House near Lijiang in Yunnan Province, China, where I traveled two years ago with Barry Raybould and Timothy Tien. We spent nearly a week in this wonderful little village beneath the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain painting the countryside and anyone we could convince to sit for us as a model. I painted the other resident dog from a photo a few months ago. The photo I took of this current painting is not great because I had to use studio lighting rather than the daylight from my skylights so I may try to take a better photo tomorrow. The dog was really small and probably really old--definitely not a puppy!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet face! I love the color palette on this one. Similar colors but you nailed the values so it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. Was it a nice break? You did a great job with this pup. Like the Chinese red/coral color on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn,
    This is really good- love all the colors in his coat and the subtle value changes that work so well. He has a tiny face! I like the floor color also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Definitely a good break, but now I have it in my mind to do a series of dog paintings, though my two cats would not take kindly to live models! I was especially taken with the little dogs I met in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one made me laugh. This dog has such a funny personality and sort of confused look. You've given me an idea for how I might approach a painting of my son's cat who was a real character and sadly died recently.

    ReplyDelete