Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reds and Greens

"Reds and Greens", 12 x 10 In, Oil on Panel
Still working with warms and cools as they relate to light and shadow, I wanted to make this painting more abstract. There are more than two colors in the painting, but it is basically a simplified palette with more or less complementary colors with white.

Purchase this unframed painting.
Contact me if you would like to purchase a plein air frame.


  1. Kathryn,
    Beautiful colors. Really like the shadow that goes up the wall behind the left pottery. Love that white piece. Your strokes are wonderfully loose yet precise. I want that:)

  2. D--- Kathryn, you have so much patience. My attention span is so short that I have to jump all over the place in subject matter.
    I admire your diligence. These paintings are great and I love to see your color variations and stroke work.
    Maybe you should paint a little puppy today.

  3. Thanks for your comments! Carol--in a way its not actually patience--its a way of reducing variables to I can forge ahead without so much anxiety. (Such as what on earth am I going to paint today?) When I want to learn something, I have a tendency to focus on that one thing--in this case color and temperature rather than subject matter. But I notice a kind of bell curve in the excitement and attention I can give to it--and after about 7-10 days focusing on one aspect of painting I tend to come to where I started and I can't remember what I am doing or why. At that point, psychologically, it is time for a shift in focus and starting again at the beginning--of something. So after posting a couple more of these from yesterday and today, I'm going on to the next PRK DVD (or something else). I did paint a couple of Chinese dogs back in March or April and I really enjoyed it! I was practicing Peggi's lesson of laying down the paint from a loaded brush and leaving it there. That's something I definitely want to experiment with again.