Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cup and Orange

When I did this painting a couple of days ago, I couldn't find my cat and I was really distracted, so it took all day for this painting to get off the ground. I must have scraped it and changed the objects in it three times! So this one is a little rough. I finally just said, "that's it--it's done!" (And I found the cat!)

Someone mentioned in a comment that they couldn't believe I had just started with a palette knife. I am so grateful for everyone's comments but I want to say again what I said originally--that I "rarely paint with palette knife," not that I've never done it before. I went back over saved images and realized that it was about nine years ago that I did a small series of paintings with a palette knife on a trip to France. It may be that painting with a palette knife is like riding a bike--once you get the hang of it, the pathways are still there in the brain even years later. Now I want to learn even more about it.

Purchase this unframed painting.
Contact me if you would like to purchase a plein air frame.

2 comments:

  1. I like it and am glad you found the cat-happy endings are good. The horizontal line across the front of painting is so sweet, lets you just rest there a second! Love the shadows. I am looking at the edges and they are just so good. Very pleasing colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy--I always appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete