Sunday, July 25, 2010

In the Sun - NFS

7/25/10 "In the Sun", 12" x 10", Oil
This is a limited stroke/limited time exercise.  I love doing exercises like this--the abstraction and the lack of finish.  Maybe it is because when doing exercises like this I feel most like I am in the unfettered state of my childhood mind--without preconceptions or second thoughts and there is freedom in that.  However, I didn't do this entirely without a plan. I took Peggi's advice and made a line down the middle of my palette with darks on one side and lights on the other--I painted everything in sunlight from the light side of the palette and everything in shadow from the dark side of the palette.  More than one artist has said that everything in the painting is a reflection of what is on the palette.  If you are wondering about the shoes, they do look a bit like flippers, but actually they are my oversize green crocs. 

During the next week I will be on Lopez Island for the Plein Air Washington paintout, and then the following week off to Alaska to paint in Denali.  I've heard there is bad cell coverage on Lopez and last time I went to Alaska there was no cell coverage at all outside of Anchorage.  If there is not an in-house network, my broadband computer connection will be kapput, so I may not be posting much for the next two weeks--yikes--a posting vacation!  Maybe on the weekend when I will be home for a couple of days.

6 comments:

  1. Your PKR studies and exercises have really been fun to see.

    Have a great time in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting...I love the palette and all of the shapes! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time! I will miss your posts! Love this study by the way. Nice job! All your strokes look so direct and intentional - something I struggle with...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, thank you for the contact information...I ordered the videos!! I am very excited to get them!

    ReplyDelete