Tuesday, July 6, 2010

In the Shade - NFS

7/5/10 "In the Shade", Oil
This was one of the last sketches in Peggi's class and it was the exception to the rule I mentioned earlier about keeping shadows in a light area darker than light in a dark area.  This was a 40 minute exercise, but I only painted 20 minutes because I was following the rule and made the shadows areas on the white sheet much darker than this.  Peggi stopped me and did a little demo to illustrate how based on your impression of the subject, the rule should sometimes be broken.  In this case, after the demo, I lightened the shadows on the sheet so they were lighter or a similar value to the sunlit grassy areas. In Peggi's demo, the shadow areas on the sheet were more definitely lighter than the sunlit grass areas giving a wonderful glow to her sketch, but we moved quickly to another exercise and so experimenting with this will be for the future.

5 comments:

  1. I love this one! It's fantastic! Great sunny spots and open shadows

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your posts. I am unable to attend any of Peggi's workshops, but I am so impressed with her teaching. I visited her web site and ordered her DVDs. I am looking forward to their arrival! Thanks for sharing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the way Peggi breaks down the learning process into discrete exercises--it is a model that makes progress more possible and I'm glad that I've documented it here--so I can return to it and remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting is super just the way it is. Just the right amount of information. Your eye does the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this painting, just as it is! There's a touch of Vanessa Bell about your colours adn use of paint, it's great to see.

    ReplyDelete