Monday, July 12, 2010

Benson Park


7/12/10 "Benson Park", 9" x 9", Oil
I'm still on the road, so I don't have the best conditions for photographing paintings.  This is from the Elio Camacho workshop last week.  It was so hot, I set up my easel on a little gravel bar in the middle of the stream.  I learned a lot at the workshop, but its the kind of thing that takes experimentation and practice to really know what I learned.  There is often a delayed reaction in the learning process and sometimes a big step backwards because to make a leap, its sometimes necessary to re-shuffle the deck of the known and the habitual.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cool palette of the last one and this one. Thank you for sharing your progression!

    BTW, I always believe a step backwards was so you could take a running start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely! I think you had Celeste Bergin and some of my fellow Portland Plein Air Painters in this workshop. Looks like Elio had a good influence on your already fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tracy and Quin--I did meet Celeste and some other really wonderful people. One of the things I learned was a different way of holding my brush and it was initially so foreign, that eveything I thought I knew about painting just seemed to fly out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice paintg. I really like the color and brushwork in this one. Steps backward are nice because you can really see where you have been and what steps you want to take forward.

    ReplyDelete