Thursday, May 5, 2011

San Diego - NFS

"San Diego", 11 x 14 In, Oil on Museum Board NFS
This is the first painting I did in the Stuart Shils workshop in San Diego over the weekend. Even though he told me it was too complex and I should tackle a smaller area, it is maybe my favorite of all the paintings I did. Stuart is an amazing guy--funny, talented, talkative and ready to share so much. I'm not going to talk about what I learned, because that will take some time to figure out. But what I can say was that for me the three days represented a door. And I didn't expect to be in the middle San Diego by the Rite Aid--the original plan was to be in Balboa Park. But Stuart loved this location and it was both challenging and memorable.

3 comments:

  1. I can see why you like this one so much. It's so wonderfully simplified and the palette lovely. It reminds me of some of your paintings from Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought this was from Morocco. It has a Moorish feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting has such a wonderful feel to it--loose yet compact, wonderful colors, and the composition is spectacular--yea for the location of Rite-Aid.

    ReplyDelete