Saturday, May 1, 2010

Escalante Hillside

5/1/10 "Escalante Hillside", 9" x 9", Oil
This is one of the Escalante cloud painting I did last week in my studio from a photo taken on an October day when clouds covered the big sky of Southeastern Utah.  I was interested in the cool tones of the hillside in the subdued light against the sky.  Right now I'm in Eastern Washington with friends painting in the scab lands of Washington State.  For those of you not from this area, these lands were formed by the massive Missoula Flood that occurred over and over during the ice age as the ice dam holding back a monstrous lake in Montana burst and flooded nearly all of Eastern Washington.  Hopefully I'll get a couple of good paintings and tell you more about the geology of this beautiful area.

No comments:

Post a Comment