Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dry Falls Cliffs - Sold

5/4/10 "Dry Falls Cliffs", 9" x 9", Oil - SOLD

This is one of the paintings from Dry Falls this past weekend.  Dry Falls is the remnant of the largest known waterfall in the world that occurred as a result of the Missoula Flood.  Click here for a complete description of this incredible geologic event.  I've actually seen the wave patterns on the land of Eastern Washington from 30,000 feet above in an airplane.  The rock is a kind of blackish basalt and hard to paint as it is not luminous, but the land is beautiful and the winds over the weekend were fierce.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn. I thought I had just posted a comment to one of your paintings, but I don't think it took. But if I'm reiterating here, sorry... Wanted to tell you how wonderfully perfect your paintings are to me! I'm in love with them - every bit. There is a lot of contemporary artwork that inspires me, but it's been a while since I came across any like this. I will definitely be following you and eager to see what you do. You're also a great writer. I'm a 'daily' painter as well (3 yrs. plus now), and can tell you that it's incredibly hard to post every day. In fact, I'm more like a weekly painter these days. There's so much to shoot the doo doo about with the ins and outs of it all,but I am sympathetic to your pursuits. Outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally--thank you so much for your comments. I love your paintings, too! I have great admiration for your ability to deal with a high key palette and the abstraction--I'm always tryng to head for more abstraction--the essence of things--just what a painting should be. I added you to my list of friends and favorites.

    ReplyDelete