Monday, September 15, 2014

Point Wilson Lighthouse


"Point Wilson Lighthouse", 6 x 8 In, Oil on Museum Board
This is painting from Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, Washington. I joined others from our group, Plein Air Washington, when we were painting the State Parks in 2013. I am unearthing these paintings in my studio. Even with Photoshop, it is difficult to get the image right. In the actual painting, the lighthouse is bright white, the trees are not quite so dark and the sky is maybe a bit darker and pinker. The brushwork is a different space in my hand/head. Sometimes there is meaning in just slapping on the paint. Here is the history of Point Wilson Lighthouse and one of my friends, Jane Wallis, painting on the beach.

5 comments:

  1. Nice, Kathryn! Quite enjoyable! love the thick application of paint and the directional brush strokes!

    I was looking at the flipcard view of the images on your blog. Very nice! Are you a fan of Ovanes Berberian? Some of your works are reminiscent of his, especially your florals. They are luscious!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert--thanks for your comments! Yes--I've studied with Ovanes and I've got a couple of his paintings right here on the wall in front of me! I've been thinking about doing a page for my collection of paintings from my favorite artists--K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned of OB about 10-15 years ago. He was featured on the cover of an International Artist Magazine. I fell in love with his works then.

    Of course, his works were less abstract than they are today. I've always wanted to study from him, but frankly I've never had the financial resources to go away and study with any national artist. Ovanes would be one of my first stops if I did!

    :)

    Your paintings are delicious, Kathryn! So very enjoyable! Love to see a page of your paintings from OB someday!

    Keep up the good work. I've fallen off the 30-in-30, but will keep trying to put a few more up before the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to look at, so nice and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kathy for sharing these studies. As always, I am loving your color choices and brushwork.

    ReplyDelete