Saturday, November 6, 2010

Escalante Shadows

"Escalante Shadows", 10" x 12", Oil on Museum Board
I spent most of the summer painting outside--in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Alaska and the UK. It is a different experience painting from photos in the studio and a good time to try to put into practice what I learned outside. So I'm going to do a few more landscapes and then at some point this winter I'll probably switch to still life, as I like painting directly from life the best. The next series, including this painting, are from images from our trip last year to Utah where I did paint out on the land every day.

Purchase this unframed painting.

5 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I love plein air, but also find that studio time is such a good learning experience! Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors and atmosphere on this one is fabulous! Your muted tones are perfect! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love painting outdoors, and always feel like those works have more life to them. But you can learn so much indoors, when you have time to play with different ideas. I really like this one! Wonderful muted colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the comments. Its hard for me to switch from outdoor to studio painting, but once I get into the daily routine I do find it a wonderful opportunity to both experiment and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really impressed with your compositions. This painting is a great example, as well as Wallowa Mountains, Big Sky, and First Snow Utah. You've made the foreground interesting. I'm wondering if it was that interesting in person, or have you built a better composition? Definitely something to I would like to consider in the studio environment. And if so, what are your favorite ways of improving on what's there? Moving around and adding to the foreground trees, or levitating the vantage point to give more depth? I keep looking for the perfect natural composition, and I rarely come across one as nice as yours. I'd love to learn from you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete