Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Girl with Yellow Umbrella - NFS

6/30/10 "Girl With Yellow Umbrella", 10" x 8", Oil
Its a good thing I am documenting these exercises, because already my memory is failing--which painting on which day and what concept was I attempting?  However, this painting illustrates at least one concept that Peggi talked about over and over--the idea that the shadow in a light area is always darker than the light in a dark area.  So in this case, the shadow of the dress which was very light in local color/value was darker than the sunlight on the grass, which as a local color was much darker be begin with.  In another later exercise there was a major exception to this rule which I will talk about in a future post. If I remember correctly, this was a 40 minute exercise.

1 comment: