Thursday, February 9, 2017

Death Valley Winter


"Death Valley Winter", 8 x 10 In, Oil on Museum Board
I don't generally like paintings where the surface has dried and the artist has painted over, sometimes multiple times, building up the surface with paint so the original brushwork is lost. I generally try to finish my painting at once, leaving the brushwork as is. I've always thought there was a sense and feeling of freedom in an alla prima approach. But this painting was different. Even after it dried, I painted over some parts of it, more than once, and when the paint buildup was too much for me, I scraped and scraped and did it over again, more than once. It was an exercise not in trying to make it look like something, but trying to make it work in some other way. I don't know if I succeeded. I don't know why this little painting grabbed me this way, but then its all a big experiment, right?

Purchase this painting framed.
Purchase this painting unframed.
Contact me for questions about this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment