Friday, February 5, 2016

Portrait Study #3


"Portrait Study #3", 14 x 11 In, Oil on Museum Board

This portrait was done quickly a couple of days ago and for the most part, as far as I remember, I didn't try to fix it. When there is "fixing" it often has to do with structural accuracy and other times with transitions, as between darker areas and lighter areas. I don't like to go back, because that's when the eye/hand partnership loses its predominant role and the mind takes control, over analyzing everything. When this happens, sometimes I scrape and start over. Sometimes I push through. But my goal is always that first instinct.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very Singer Sargent. I read that he said there was no fixing a badly rendered portrait, one must start over, and often scraped off faces many times. Once he scraped off over a dozen times and his wealthy client complained and he was just like, sit or don't, whatever, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan--I love that story about Sargent. Thank you for relaying it! Now there was a master.

    ReplyDelete