Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grand Canyon Light

"Grand Canyon Light", 10 x 8 In, Oil on Museum Board
This scene is so typical of the Grand Canyon, with deep shadow on one side and blinding light on the other. It was from a photo and  I wanted to make it abstract, so I turned the painting and the photo upside down to finish it.

I also want to let everyone know that by the time you see this I should be in Sydney, Australia, on my way to Perth to visit my sister.  I've posted ahead with odds and ends from the last couple of months--some experiments--well, you'll see! If you write a comment and I don't respond, I'm either not in range of a wifi or I'm off in the wilds of New Zealand--next stop on the journey.

Purchase this unframed painting.
Contact me if you would like to purchase a plein air frame.

3 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time! Visiting Australia is on my bucket list. I felt a twinge of envy when I read about your trip! (Sorry!).

    Your painting is beautiful. You truly captured the light and the mistiness of the distant wall. Did you take a raft trip in the canyon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lights. Have a wonderful trip! Look forward to future paintings from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pam and Virginia--I did take a painting raft trip a few years ago (Sonoma Art Center trips) 200 miles through the Grand Canyon--incredibly memorable and hundreds of photos along with the paintings. I loved it so much I did it again a couple of years later and I'd love to do it agan--

    ReplyDelete